Skip to main content

Week 2: The Innovation-Policy Gap

This week's readings were focused on digital privacy.  It is clear from from both Davis (2014) and Leatham & Robertson (2017) that there exists some major discrepancies between innovation, the use of technology in education, and policy.  In particular, as I was reading the Leatham & Robertson (2017) article, I began to question my own practices and choices of digital tools in the classroom... do they protect student digital privacy or am I unknowingly putting my students at risk here?  I will certainly be examining the digital tools that I choose much more closely to ensure that this is not the case.

I found the following quote from Leatham & Robertson (2017) particularly interesting: "Teachers, and in particular, early adopters appear to be caught in the cross-currents of multiple and contradictory technology imperatives" (p. 3).  This quote really caught my eye because it is linked to the leadership theory that I am working on with my group for Assignment 2, which is Rogers' Theory of Diffusion of Innovations.  Innovators and early adopters are among the first to try new digital tools and innovate their practices within the classroom.  In the Halton District School Board where I work, one of the main goals for the Multi-Year Plan is that  all staff will contribute to collaborative and inclusive learning environments to enhance innovative practices and build a strong learning organization.  Another goal is that resources and technology will be optimized through innovative and creative opportunities and partnerships.  The push for innovation has been very evident over the past year; however, similar to scenarios presented in the Leatham & Robertson (2017) article, very little, if any, discussion of how to be innovative while protecting student digital privacy has taken place.  For example, how can we, as a board, ensure that the resources and technology that we choose to pursue or partner with is protecting our students?



I plan to take what I've learned this week and start asking the questions that need to be addressed in order to decrease the innovation-policy gap that currently exists, even if it starts with just my school.  As the use of Web 2.0 and 3.0 digital tools increases, so does the need to have those challenging discussions around digital privacy.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: An Introvert's Perspective on Class

This week, Lorayne has asked us to focus our learning log on what we are doing during class time.  Specifically, what am I doing in class time?  How much is passive learning? And how much is active learning? What I'm Doing During Class Let's start with what I am doing during class time.  I have to admit that most of the time I am listening to the conversation and discussion that is happening in class, especially when we are in a larger group.  As an introvert, I really find class overwhelming in terms of stimulus because I'm trying to take everything in, including the discussion, chat window etc.  I need time to process information... it's just the way that my brain works!  I do participate much more frequently during breakout discussions.  I appreciate it when we do breakouts as it gives me a break from feeling overwhelmed and allows me a bit more time to process and contribute to the discussion. Passive vs. Active Learning In regards to ...

Week 8: Peer Review and Case Study

As this was an asynchronous class this week, my time was spent working on the group case study and the peer review of learning logs. Case Study My role in our group is to provide the case and the context for this assignment.  I chose to make a PowToon video to explain our case study, which is a challenge for me since I've never used PowToon before.  I like to challenge myself like this and try new things as I really learn a lot from these experiences.  As I was getting ready to make the video, I quickly realized that I needed to prepare a script.  As I was writing the script, I realized that I had begun to write the paper!  I spent quite a bit of time working on the script but this effort that I'm putting forth now will mean less work for me in the coming weeks.  Here is the video that I made: Peer Review For the peer review of the learning logs, I reviewed Jen Artan's blog.  This process was beneficial as it provided an opportunity to gain...

Week 4: Theory Presentations

This week in class, we reviewed several leadership theories through presentations that were facilitated by groups of three or four.  It was really interesting how Lorayne set up this assignment and the presentations; we had to post our more "dry" content, in the form of an infographic or video, the weekend prior to class.  The presentations were then focused on discussions around those leadership theories.  I really appreciated this format as it was more student-centred and involved active rather than passive learning.  I think I would have screamed if I had to sit through almost two hours of presentations!  All of the groups did a really great job and I was engaged and eager to participate for the entire class. It's great timing that this topic has come up as one of my goals in my annual learning plan is to focus on creating a more student-centred learning environment in my classroom.  It's so easy to fall into the typical "chalk and talk" mode, espe...