Skip to main content

Week 6: An Introvert's Perspective on Class

This week, Lorayne has asked us to focus our learning log on what we are doing during class time.  Specifically, what am I doing in class time?  How much is passive learning? And how much is active learning?

What I'm Doing During Class

Let's start with what I am doing during class time.  I have to admit that most of the time I am listening to the conversation and discussion that is happening in class, especially when we are in a larger group.  As an introvert, I really find class overwhelming in terms of stimulus because I'm trying to take everything in, including the discussion, chat window etc.  I need time to process information... it's just the way that my brain works!  I do participate much more frequently during breakout discussions.  I appreciate it when we do breakouts as it gives me a break from feeling overwhelmed and allows me a bit more time to process and contribute to the discussion.


Passive vs. Active Learning

In regards to passive versus active learning, I see how Lorayne has set up the course to minimize passive learning.  I learn much more when I am actively engaged in the material and I find that my attention span is very limited when learning is more passive.  There is a vast array of literature that supports this notion, and I've witnessed this in my teaching practice as well, especially this year.  Students in my SL chemistry class learned about electrochemistry through project-based learning; they were deeply engaged in learning all about batteries in order to construct their own.  At the end of the unit, I gave them a test and the average was far higher than I've ever seen in past practice, where instruction has been typically more teacher-directed.  What's interesting about this class is that they have been frustrated about this approach; they are so used to a teacher-directed classroom and it's been a challenge to get them to buy-in!  Change is never easy but, knowing the huge benefits, I will continue along this path as I know it is best for students.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: The Innovation-Policy Gap

This week's readings were focused on digital privacy.  It is clear from from both Davis (2014) and Leatham & Robertson (2017 ) that there exists some major discrepancies between innovation, the use of technology in education, and policy.  In particular, as I was reading the Leatham & Robertson (2017) article, I began to question my own practices and choices of digital tools in the classroom... do they protect student digital privacy or am I unknowingly putting my students at risk here?  I will certainly be examining the digital tools that I choose much more closely to ensure that this is not the case. I found the following quote from Leatham & Robertson (2017) particularly interesting: "Teachers, and in particular, early adopters appear to be caught in the cross-currents of multiple and contradictory technology imperatives" (p. 3).  This quote really caught my eye because it is linked to the leadership theory that I am working on with my group for Assignmen

Week 1: Getting Started

This week marks the beginning of this course. I have to admit that I was pretty excited about taking this class; it relates so much to my role as Head of Science and Information Technology at the school I teach at in the Halton District School Board (HDSB). I also just took “Foundations of Leadership” last semester with Bill Muirhead and I am looking forward to continuing my learning about leadership. I am still fairly new to my role as a department head; this is my second year and I’m finally feeling like I have a better grasp on what my job entails. One of my goals this year is to further build staff capacity around technology in the classroom so I’m hoping to gain a lot of great ideas and learn about various theories that I can implement in my practice. I am also continuing my work on motivating my staff to shift their practices towards more problem-based or project-based learning and I’m eager to learn more about leadership theories and active learning in general. In sett

Week 12: Blue Sky Thinking

I have seen a general theme running through both this course and my practice in my leadership role. Technology leadership, or really any leadership, always comes back to RELATIONSHIPS. Fostering good relationships with staff and students creates a positive environment which is key to gaining trust and buy-in. This, in turn, allows for risk-taking and innovation. As I look back on the course, relationships were seen interwoven throughout the course content. For example, relationships were central to many of the leadership theories that I examined early on in the course. As a leader, using and modelling the use of technology can influence attitudes, as seen in social learning behaviour, which can then influence behaviours. This is linked to the theory of reasoned action, which describes how attitudes as well as norms can influence behaviour. Both attitudes and beliefs about the usefulness of introducing and adopting a new technology will influence the adoption. Communities o